Saturday, December 31, 2022

Year-End Survey 2022

Here's my year-end survey for 2022!


1. What did you do in 2022 that you'd never done before?

Had my first performance in my cover band, Tides of Time.



Sold a short story to the very first person who ever read it (I usually share with test readers and usually short stories are rejected at least a few times before they sell, but this one I sent out sight unseen and they bought it).

Went on an out-of-state trip with Jeaux (to New York).


Saw my book on the shelf in a bookstore in person.

Was in the studio audience of Stephen Colbert's show.


Went to Buc-ee's.

Made homemade eggrolls.

Went to Charlotte with my sister to see our other sister.




Had to have a window fixed when it was busted by a golf ball.

Went to an anime convention wearing body paint.




Watched The Office in its entirety.

Hosted my sister and nephew for a multi-day vacation visit.


Saw A Strange Loop on Broadway.

Had dinner at an Extremely Fancy fine dining rooftop restaurant (The Peak in New York).



2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Last year, these were my resolutions, and whether I kept them:

  1. Maintain my walking goals and health goals. [Maintained the walking goals! The health goals could have been better.]
  2. Accomplish something new with publishing. [I sold two short stories, but wanted to do more.]
  3. Accomplish something new with completing a writing project. [I wrote one new short story and I did write a little more on an in-progress novel but still, I wanted to do more.]
  4. Really get some serious work done on the website. [I did complete my photo galleries website--the attached photo journal is not done, though, and the rest still needs help.]
  5. Don't waste so much time. [I think I probably wasted a similar amount of time.]

New year's resolutions for this year:

  1. Read more. (Shouldn't be hard. I read like five books this year.)
  2. Finish writing my book In Bloom and make progress with test readers, hopefully approaching agents before the close of the year. (My current agent only reps my nonfiction.)
  3. Get back into Dance Dance Revolution for some better stamina.
  4. Finish the photo journal aspect of my website and complete another section's revamp (I'm thinking I could start the writing section).
  5. Keep up with communication. Make it a priority to get through all conversational e-mails every week.
  6. Continue to post my YouTube videos once a month, my writing cartoon once a month, and my fantasy webcomic once a week.
  7. Be more active about documenting everyday life on various social media. I have been keeping stuff off the internet too much and now I don't have the kinds of records I am used to having.
  8. Spend quality time with my friends. I'd like to continue game night and we are planning to have a vacation house adventure in March.
  9. Continue to grow the repertoire and experience of our band.
  10. Practice ukulele more and get through my recording series of Steven Universe music.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

I don't think so!

4. Did anyone close to you die?

My coworker Brenda passed away from complications associated with COPD.

My mother's Aunt Bea passed away at the age of 94.

5. What countries did you visit?

Your butt.

6. What would you like to have in 2023 that you lacked in 2022?

Consequences for Trump and his ilk.

Gatherings without fear of disease or violence.

As always, a book deal.

A copy of the SU comic I'm missing!

More time to read.

Balance.

7. What dates from 2022 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

5/3/22–5/8/22: Visited Charlotte with Patricia to see Lindsay.

6/28/22: First performance with Tides of Time band.

7/26/22–8/1/22: Patricia and Ash visited.

9/28/22–9/29/22: Hurricane Ian.

10/12/22–10/17/22: Vacationed in New York with Jeaux.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Learned to say no and mean it.

Kept up with my 10,000 steps a day plan.

Got my inbox down to 8 e-mails (from over 900).

Sold two short stories--one immediately after I wrote it to the first magazine I asked, and one after trying to sell it for seven years.

Kept up with both webcomics, my YouTube channel, my daily journaling, reviewing books, and karaoke posts.

Became a better performer.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Wasting time and not living up to my own expectations. One of these days I'd love to exceed them, but I am a pretty tough critic.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

No.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

A cool autographed Steven Universe convention signing sheet.

Pumice stones? They revolutionized some of the things I clean.

Gifts that made my friends super happy.

The next-to-last comic book I was missing.

A new phone (Samsung Galaxy A32).

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

The scientists and health care workers who did what they did this year to promote health and prevent loss of life.

Meggie who was able to be brave and vulnerable going into unexplored territory.

Sister Lindsay who was able to bravely take steps of her own accord to improve her life.

My queer friends.

My friend Ben who had a lot of family illness this year and just keeps on chuggin'.

Daria who braved her first (and second!) burlesque performance this year.

Everyone who worked to counter the false narratives about the election.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

As usual, Donald Trump and his supporters.

Ron DeSantis and his all-out war against my community.

People who spread lies and conspiracy theories (many of which have their roots in antisemitism).

All the bastards who have been feeding the fire on "trans women are men who want access to single-sex spaces to do harm to REAL women" and "LGBTQ+ people are groomers."

Fake friends.

People who use tragedy to capitalize.

Every single fatphobe.

People who blamed oppressed people for their own oppression.

Rich people who got richer during the pandemic and aren't giving back.

People who expect me and others to clean up the messes they made.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Besides rent, my most significant spending was on vacations this year! I went to Charlotte and New York, and I paid for half of a vacation house we'll be enjoying next year.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Completing my Vualá collection.

Going to Buc-ee's.

Seeing Fen in Tampa.

My first gardenia of the season.

Honeysuckle in Charlotte.

Seeing my wonderful sisters in Charlotte.

Vegan food with Fen in Charlotte.

Greg Universe Special #1.

Time with Meggie during summer vacation.

My air plant flower.

Metrocon.

Ash and Patricia's summer visit.

Watching Steven Universe with my sister and nephew.

Pumpkin pie ice cream.

Tides of Time first full-length performance.

New York.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

The Museum of Natural History.

Going to Strand.

Peak Restaurant and the Edge.

First Halloween party in two years.

Meggie meeting Adam.

Holiday cookies.

16. What song will always remind you of 2022?

"2 Be Loved (Am I Ready)."

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

i. happier or sadder?

Happier.

ii. thinner or fatter?

Well, I mean according to the records I'm literally three pounds heavier than today last year. Not much of a difference.

iii. richer or poorer?

Richer, I guess, maybe? I got a stock distribution of about $44,000 earlier this year and that means I at least feel richer, even though it was already mine before that.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Writing fiction, reading, completing projects, being creative, practicing ukulele, being a little more active in the asexual community, documenting things I failed to document.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Revisiting old drama, being patient with people who take it for granted, playing mindless games for too long while catching up on news drama, staying up late for no reason.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

My sister Lindsay and her husband Mike came over for Christmas Eve (and I had Mom and Jeaux there). We had a nice lunch and exchanged gifts. I spent Christmas Day all by myself.


21. How will you be spending New Year's Eve?

Listening to the rain by myself.

22. Did you fall in love in 2022?

None of my relationships with other people could be described as "falling in love." I maintain that I have all the love I want in my life.

23. How many one-night stands?

I should probably just delete this question from the survey. But then I'd have to re-number and ew.

24. What was your favorite TV program?

Steven Universe is still my undisputed favorite, but this year I enjoyed Ranking of KingsThe Office, and Our Flag Means Death.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?

Let's be honest, yes.

26. What was the best book you read this year?

I hardly read anything this year so it was probably Ace and Aro Journeys: A Guide to Embracing Your Asexual or Aromantic Identity by the Ace and Aro Advocacy Project.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?

I didn't really have any discoveries of new music this year. I don't get introduced to a lot of it. But I'll just answer this question by saying I have enjoyed getting a new appreciation for old songs while reinventing them and performing them with my band!

I also did really like the musical A Strange Loop when I went to see it in New York, but I have to say it wasn't the music that really made me love it.

28. What did you want and get?

Lots of time alone, performance opportunities with the band, my New York trip, a work/life balance that continues to be comfortable, my photos page done, an escape from a source of regular stress for me, a Covid-free year, two short stories sold, good times with friends and family.

29. What did you want and not get?

Another novel completed, more progress for social issues, basic good behavior from people who should know better, the missing comic book from my collection, more reading time, opportunities to play with little babies, enough sleep.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?

I didn't watch any movies this year except Inside OutBig Hero SixTurning RedThor: Ragnarok, and Weird: The Al Yankovic Story. I think my favorite was Turning Red.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I turned 44. I had to work on my birthday; I did data entry at work and had cake for breakfast. I played games with my friends and I won a lot. I opened some of my presents and got some cool stuff--a cute dress and plant holders from my sister, and a snack box from Fred and Kathy. The previous weekend, though, Meggie had come to visit me and we saw a botanical garden and went to Buc-ee's.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

If a bunch of people would have stopped thinking that being rich means they can hijack everything good for themselves, take it away at the expense of everyone else, and then act like they're the victims because they are called out, criticized, and "cancelled" for it.

Also, you know, a book deal? But I've been saying that most years that I didn't get one.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2022?

Fuzzy socks, unbrushed hair, and Steven Universe tee shirts. For real though I have been liking flannel shirts tied around my waist, fun sunglasses, weird clip-in hair colors, and strange eyeshadow.

34. What kept you sane?

Polos with Meghan and Patricia, decent and fair news reports, down time, compassionate friends, coffee, naps, moments of respect, cartoons.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Oh, you silly survey.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?

Trans rights and queer violence.

37. Who did you miss?

C'mon.

38. Who was the best new person you met?

I have met very few new people. Dorian and Rina at my Halloween party were friends of a friend who seemed very, very cool, and I hope to get to know them more. And I have also met Adam, whose vibe seems promising.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2022.

Even if you do EVERYTHING right, there are some people who will never be satisfied. So learn to be okay with them not being satisfied.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

"You can't hold me now. Only I can do that."

No comments:

Post a Comment