Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Wednesday Factoid: Amusement Parks

Today's Wednesday Factoid is: Do you like amusement parks/theme parks? Do you have a favorite?

I'm not a real big fan of them, no. But I don't hate them. I can still have plenty of fun at a theme park, and I'll be enthusiastic about exploring what there is to do there, but theme parks are definitely not the thing I would choose to do with a vacation or with the money it costs to go there. I have been quite a number of times with friends and had fun, but that was mostly because I was with them, not necessarily because of the park.

Disney World with family, 1989

Six Flags with Laura and Jessica, 1997
My friend Mikey flipping off a dino at Universal Studios, 2009

EPCOT with Sarah, 2010
Star Tours with Eric, 2011
 
Hollywood Studios with Meg, Katie, Steve, and Jessica, 2011

Disney parks with Meg's family, 2013

EPCOT with Meg's family and Victor, 2014
Living in Florida, I'm basically right on top of Disney, and my friends really like to go to the parks, so I am sometimes invited along.


My favorite thing about theme parks is usually games and shopping, and probably food too. I don't usually like "fair foods" like funnel cake but sometimes they still have pretty good (expensive) food, especially at Disney. Rides are okay. I'm not huge on rides, especially since they are usually the major attraction at these places and therefore have HUGE lines. But I did have a lot of fun on Disney World's EPCOT ride Soarin' (which simulates flying over a variety of landscapes) and the free-fall ride at Hollywood Studios.

And even though in general I don't like fireworks because of the pollution and the loud noises, the Disney fireworks are very nice, and I find them pretty inspiring because of the way they remind me of humans' capacity for innovation. 

For vacations and stuff, though, I would much rather go on a picnic, to the beach, to a vacation home, or on a road trip to see friends. Theme parks being crowded and full of lines to do things I'm not super enthusiastic about does not put them high on my list of favorite vacation pastimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment