Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Wednesday Factoid: Back to the Land

Today's Wednesday Factoid is: What "Back to the Land" skills do you have, or wish you had?

Oh, that's easy! I have basically none!

I'd be, like, the WORST person to do one of those wilderness challenge things with because I'm completely useless outside a city with the comforts of home. I don't really even do camping that well.


To be honest, I don't actively wish I had any "back to the land" skills. I know that developing them takes work and experience, and those are not the things I want to devote my life to. I think it's good that some people enjoy them and can take care of themselves outside the city and with no electricity or whatever, though I tend to be a little skeptical of interacting too much with people who look down on city living. I'm really thinking of a particular subset of them who believe that "the end" of urban life is coming and that when everything explodes, only they and people like them will be able to survive, and they love talking about and yearning for the death and destruction that will wipe out modern conveniences and crown them the knowledgeable, competent ones. Them and their guns, you know.

People who want to live in more natural, connected-to-the-Earth communities don't bother me that way at all. Especially since most of the commune people recognize this is a choice they've made, not a superior lifestyle that they wish people would be forced into.

As for skills I'd like to be able to have, I think the one I'd like most is to be able to competently grow my own food. I've had very little luck with this even with trying to grow herbs, and I think it would be cool to have a vegetable garden. As such, I've just raised a few things in pots.




It would also be kinda cool to be able to start a fire cuz that's awesome. But I very much doubt I'll be doing that without a lighter anytime soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment