Saturday, December 27, 2014

Personal Digest Saturday: December 20 – December 26

Life news this week: 
  • The holidays are really here! In between all the hubbub and visiting and preparation I don't feel so bad that I didn't get much done, but you know me--I'm always irritated at myself for not accomplishing more, especially when I know I wasted time when I shouldn't have.
  • Baby Ash turned one year old on Saturday! My sister Patricia and her husband Yusuke had come into town the night before and they were staying with my mom. So I went over there for his birthday and got to hang out with them, and sister Lindsay came too. I baked Ash's birthday cake--a banana cake--and he really seemed to enjoy it. At one point he picked the whole thing up and tried to nom it! He also got his presents, and performed a Japanese first-birthday tradition called issho mochi where he had to crawl with a load of mochi on his back as a sort of early display of overcoming adversity (and he didn't like it much!), and he got to choose an item from a lineup of representative objects so the adults could all speculate about what it might mean for his future career. He was so cute and I just wanted to eat him up. Also, my mom made spaghetti and we had a great visit!
  • On Sunday I did laundry, made a video (which was hard because my neighbors were being SO loud that they kept ruining the video and I'd have to redo it over and over), decorated my apartment for Solstice, and got on Skype with Victor, Tia, and Faith so we could open our presents together.
  • On Monday I had to work and it was very busy. I met my family after work and just hung out at Mom's to eat leftovers. And play with the baby of course. It was a nice quiet evening.
  • On Tuesday it was again a busy day at work. I met my family again but just for a Sweet Tomatoes dinner, where Ash got to eat ice cream and pieces of pasta and salad bits. He is sort of saying his first word (we're not sure if it counts)--he picks up a phone (or other object, or just a pretend phone) and says "hello" into it. It's so adorable my head explodes. Oh, and we also did Hanukkah candles at my house--it was the last night and my sister wanted Ash to see. :)
  • Wednesday was Jeaux Day and Christmas Eve. We decided to just make pizza at my place so we wouldn't have to worry about finding an open restaurant, and that we did. We made and ate the pizza, watched the finale of Legend of Korra (!!!!!!), and also watched the musical Bye Bye Birdie. And we exchanged gifts. :) I also finished my So You Write comic and posted it.
  • Thursday was Christmas, of course, and we had a little early dinner at my mom's with everyone. I brought Jeaux, and my sister Lindsay brought her husband Mike. We had breakfast for dinner and it was pancakes, toast or bagels, fruit salad, eggs, and there was also bacon but of course I didn't have that. I brought hot cider that I had spiced myself and I also brought a Yule Log Cake that was delicious. My mom even had soy eggnog! Which was pretty good! The party was really excellent. We exchanged gifts with each other, ate all the food, and visited for many hours. Ahh, it was lovely. After the party I went home and read a book.
  • I got presents from my mom, my boss, Jay, Jeaux, Heather, Victor and Tia, Mike, my sister, and a mystery person who sent me a book but I don't know who it is because there was no note. (???)
New reviews of my book:
          • good book but lacks of scientific completeness: Francesco on Amazon gave me three stars (my first non-five-star Amazon rating, huzzah!), apparently finding it disappointing because it was written for general audiences, not scientific ones.
          • Elizabeth's review gave me five stars on Goodreads (and qualifies that she gives it 4.5 stars in the review, except there are no .5's in their rating system).

                    Places featured:
                    • Carrel Books: My publisher got a site up for my imprint and now my book is listed there.
                    • A Tumblr user posted about my book three times (one, two, three), discussing being thrilled to have received a copy and then quoting from it and stuff. I love when pople get excited about my stuff!
                      Reading progress:

                      New singing performances:

                      Here I'm singing "Thank U" by Alanis Morissette. Because I think this week deserves a gratitude song.


                       
                      New drawings:



                      Webcomic Negative One Issue 0502: "A Little Rebellion."

                      Webcomic So You Write Issue 43: "Stop Worrying."

                      New videos:


                      Not-So-Frequently Asked Querying Questions is available now! All about less commonly discussed aspects of querying.

                      New photos:  

                      I have a ton but just here are some of the best!

                      Aunt Lindsay!
                      Ash is 1! He seems disinterested in the cake.

                      Oh wait, now he's into it.
                      He picked up the whole cake!
                      "Here Mommy, I want to share my cake."

                      Ash got a ton of toys for his first birthday!
                      He loves playing with the bubbles.
                      My sister the feet eater.
                      I was trying to teach Ash about selfies.
                      We took a group selfie.
                      Upside-down kiss lessons!
                      Banana boy.
                      First time seeing a lit menorah!
                      "Mommy, I NEED some of that ice cream!"
                      "Hooray, Daddy's giving me some of his!"
                      Learning to high five.
                      Cute slippers we got for holiday gifts! (I'm in pink.)
                      Fish face boy and the book I got him for Christmas.
                      My Yule tree!

                      Social media counts:YouTube subscribers: 4,187 for swankivy (19 new this week), 421 for JulieSondra (4 new). Twitter followers: 597 for swankivy (lost 1), 803 for JulieSondra (lost 3). Not sure why I lost Twitter followers. Perhaps they were people who added me last week and deleted me when I didn't auto-follow back. That happens. Facebook: 273 friends (no change) and 155 followers (lost 1) for swankivy, 504 likes for JulieSondra (1 new), 54 likes for Negative One (no change), 90 likes for So You Write (1 new). Tumblr followers: 1,769 (6 new).

                      No comments:

                      Post a Comment