Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Wednesday Factoid: Obscure Interest

Today's Wednesday Factoid is: What are you interested in that most people haven't even heard of?

How about elemental associations?

The classical elemental alignments--Earth, Air, Fire, Water--are really interesting to me. I don't "believe in" them as forces in the world, aspects of reality, or specific personality types, but I think it's fun and inspirational to check out elemental associations and interpret life through elemental lenses sometimes.

I used the elements a lot in one of my novels, Bad Fairy. The main character is a fairy whose association with elements is a lot more real, and one of her educational units growing up was the elementals unit. She has to spend a week getting to know each element and studying its attributes, which included dressing in special ways. I drew pictures.



Elements are also supposed to have personality traits, color associations, cardinal directions, even associated foods.

Click it to blow up!

In an apartment I lived in for just one year, I did my decorating in terms of elements. The kitchen, center of the grounded existence and physical plane, was decorated for Earth. The living room, center of imaginative work and important everyday considerations, was decorated for Air. The utility room, center of exciting projects and stuff I'm passionate about, was decorated for Fire. And the bedroom, center of dreams and emotion, was decorated for Water. 









If you're interested in taking a personality quiz about what your element is, I wrote one on my author website!

No comments:

Post a Comment