Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Asexual Awareness Week 2017

Hi everyone. It's Asexual Awareness Week!

I haven't done a whole heck of a lot with activism lately, but I'm certainly available to give advice, offer perspectives, do interviews, and educate. I accepted a speaking opportunity a while ago that seems to have not come through, but sometimes I like to go speak to college students or at events, so I'm down to continue that if people want to invite me. And of course I make monthly YouTube videos that address asexuality, and I blog about it at Everyday Ignorance, my Tumblr.

I often make videos where I read my hate mail, because that allows me to address misconceptions and show people the kind of problems we have. But sometimes the negativity does get tiring. I've been trying to invite more requests from folks about what subjects they'd like me to cover outside of hate mail. Though obviously I also get a lot of love mail too! And that's what reminds me I'm doing what I should be doing.

Here's a video I made some time ago consisting of NICE messages. We all know I get a ton of really awful messages, but let's focus on the people who have been so kind as to tell me how I'm making a difference for them, who have appreciated the work I've done, and have supported ME along the way.

 

[If this doesn't play for you, try the version with different music.]

Links from last year:

Why do we have Asexual Awareness Week? Well, there's the obvious, of course: we want people to know asexual people exist, and we want people to know how to support us, and we want everyday exploration and examination of sexual diversity to include us.

Here are some basics you can share from my cornucopia of resources:

No comments:

Post a Comment