Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Wednesday Factoid: Time Management

Today's Wednesday Factoid is: How good are you at time management?

I'd say pretty good! Better than most people, I guess. I'm relatively good at figuring out how long something will take and giving myself a generous amount of time to complete it, and I also tend to be the type of person who does NOT procrastinate; if I know I have to do something, I feel better if I do it ASAP and not have to worry about whether it's done. I was always that kid doing homework on the way home on the bus, wanting to get it finished so I could rest easily and breathe.

I tend to have a pretty good amount of motivation, too, and to be honest I wouldn't have thought it was unusual if people didn't comment on it all the time. Because I have SO many things I want to do and I almost always feel like I'm falling short, even though other people keep telling me I get a lot done. Objectively, I can see that I do a ton of stuff and that most people don't do what I do. But since I am only accomplishing a fraction of what I wish I were, I don't feel like I'm doing anything out of the ordinary. And it's kind of a motivation killer if you keep comparing yourself to other people, so maybe that's why I tend not to look and end up with an unrealistic assessment of how much I SHOULD be able to do.

Lately I have fallen short of many things I want to do, most notably writing new fiction, and secondarily keeping up with communication online and maintaining/updating some of my websites, but I've gotten MORE done in areas like teaching myself a new instrument, drawing a lot, and getting more reading done. It seems like I'm always unhappy with some aspect of my productivity, and trying to do it all just makes me exhausted, so I guess this is how it's going to be.

But all things considered, if there is something I MUST do, I tend to have it very well planned out and executed in plenty of time. The times I end up leaving stuff until the last minute almost always shakes out to my having had to depend on someone else to do their part. I try not to be a jerk about it because I've come to realize almost everyone procrastinates as a way of life, and I don't want to be That Jerk, but yeah, sometimes it irks me if I'm in a situation where I have to wait for someone to do their thing before I can do my thing and there's nothing I can do about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment