Thursday, December 3, 2015

Update on Ace of Arts: Chapter 4

It's much slower going over here than I thought it was going to be. I think I'm okay with that, though.

I'm not having a problem writing this. I'm just not deciding to sit down and write often enough. I should probably do something about that, but at the same time, I know it's not a race. It's not like I'm doing NaNoWriMo. It's not like I'm trying to write like the wind to impress anyone. So I think I like balancing the writing of this novel with all the other things I'm continuing to do (consistently update two webcomics and two YouTube channels, write for my four blogs, read a book a week, make creative things, and see people I care about).

I did not use my time wisely over the four-day weekend attached to Thanksgiving, sadly. I wrote ONE chapter over the weekend and that was it. I'm happy with the chapter.

Chapter 4 is only about 1700 words, and it's mostly about Megan in art class. I don't know about the pacing here. It seems like she's now spent three of the four chapters waffling about whether she's going to apply for a scholarship. Not exactly thrilling material here folks. I do want it to be established how much inertia is actually acting on her to keep her from making that leap, but maybe I don't need this much. At least the chapter did an okay job giving us the mini-culture of her classroom and inserting another conversation with her art teacher. (And it continued the pattern I've established where the even-numbered chapters open with one of Megan's specialized lucid dreams--a pattern I intend to break when I start breaking all the other patterns in her life.)

The book overall is about to hit 10,000 words. The next chapter will revisit the character Brady. I'm anxious to get his plot moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment