- New York trip continues! I spent Saturday helping John clean and prepare for his birthday party (mopped, dusted, vacuumed, swept), and then I got to enjoy the party itself. It was pretty crowded and I spent some of my time just escaping into an upstairs room and chilling by myself, but I had some nice conversations. John's friend Mike and I had some lovely chats, and I talked for a short time with a couple other party guests and had a longish talk with America. :)
- Sunday I didn't have plans, but my dad and I had figured that was a good day to do a little more family stuff. So I ventured out and got on the wrong train briefly (well, the right train, but going the wrong way; however, I was prepared for that possibility and knew what to look for to confirm that I was going the wrong way, and I righted myself when I saw I'd chosen the wrong one). I met my dad only a little late and we enjoyed some music, some Chinese dumplings, and some tea. But the weather suddenly turned awful and I had to go home. I spent the rest of the evening slowly eating the leftover dumplings and watching cartoons on the couch. Hah.
- Monday was THE LAMBDA AWARDS. I kinda spent the morning worrying about the rain (it had become not only disgustingly wet but very cold outside), and it was just too nasty out for me to feel like walking to the train and ruining my clothes and my hair, so I got a cab and went to the wrong place IN THE CAB. Because there were apparently two places in New York with the same address but ONE WAS IN BROOKLYN and that was the one I somehow ended up at and I WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE IN BROOKLYN but obviously I don't know the area well enough to have known we were going to the wrong place. Then I had to get back to the actual place, which I did without too much trouble but dammit it pissed me off and (yep) made me late as usual.
- I met my dad at the Cooper Union and we ventured into the cocktail reception. I got some nibbles and met some cool people, and John found us and we hung out some more. Then eventually it was time to sit down in the auditiorium, Kate Clinton was a really funny MC and I loved seeing all the nominees and winners get their honors, even though I turned out to not win my award in my category. (That honor went to Hold Tight Gently, which was about AIDS and some discrepancies between the treatment of a white patient and a black patient.) The Lambda goody bag had some really cool books in it that I got to take home, and I walked to the after-party with John, where I had a good time except that there wasn't any food I could eat.
- Tuesday I made it to the airport with few mishaps and my dad and I had breakfast. Our flight was uneventful and he dropped me off at my apartment. I chatted with my mom on the phone to tell her about the events while I unpacked. Whee.
- Wednesday was my first day back to work. I dug myself out of the built-up work mostly in that first day. Then I met Jeaux and we ate at Holy Hog, haha. (I had fried okra, french fries, and macaroni and cheese.) Back at my house we watched the first show of this season's America's Got Talent and listened to Night Vale.
- Thursday and Friday were mostly uneventful--just settling back in, catching up on some stuff, answering a few dangling messages, updating sites, blogging and rambling. The usual! I finished my comic early and had my mommy over for Chinese food Friday night, and we just chilled and I showed her my medals and vacation stuff.
- The Daily Dahlia: This lovely blogger and online acquaintance of mine recommended me and my stuff as a good resource for those wanting to know more about asexuality.
- Reading With Nixie: Someone on Tumblr thinks my book is rad.
- The Godless Ace urged readers to give my webcomic Negative One a shot, and said he wants to be me when he grows up.
- Completed reading: What Not to Say! by Linda J. Beam. Three-star review.
- Currently reading: Firegirl by Tony Abbott.
New singing performances:
Here I'm singing "The Sign" by Ace of Base.
Webcomic Negative One Issue 0525: "Watching Me."
|John and me before the party at his house.|
|Mike playing with his camera at the party.|
|Here's the picture he took of me.|
|I'm really social at parties.|
|Me on the red carpet at the Lammys.|
|My dad took this one.|
|John and me in weird light at the Lammy after-party.|
|The pro photo of John and me at the party.|
Social media counts: YouTube subscribers: 4,672 for swankivy (25 new this week), 475 for JulieSondra (2 new). Twitter followers: 655 for swankivy (no change), 950 for JulieSondra (lost 2, not sure why, ha). Facebook: 278 friends (1 new, befriended John's friend Mike) and 166 followers (2 new) for swankivy, 567 likes for JulieSondra (1 new), 54 likes for Negative One (no change), 105 likes for So You Write (no change). Tumblr followers: 2007 (lost the 7 new I got last week, which may or may not be because I posted about sexism, or cartoons).