- The biggest news: I'm a Lambda Literary Award finalist! This was so unexpected. I didn't even know if I'd be CONSIDERED, since I had to enter in the LGBT Nonfiction category and didn't know if it would get thrown out. But I'm A FINALIST! And now I have to decide if I'm going to go to New York for the huge awards ceremony and "VIP Reception." ::hides::
- I also published a new piece in Psychology Today. It's called "Asexuality is Not a Diagnosis." It's about how people try to use supposedly scientific objections to invalidate us. Oddly enough (not really), the comments section is entirely one person trying to do that to me (and me and two others objecting to her). It became hilariously pointless when she started weaponizing mental illness and literally wrote "get help, hun," so . . . yeah, not doing this anymore.
- The weekend was spent working on Bad Fairy, finishing off the House DVDs, and reading.
- My article that got published in Drunk Monkeys last week is going to be picked up by Everyday Feminism! They asked to reprint it and threw money at us. :D
- I processed a new video for my asexuality channel, which I filmed over the weekend but didn't post until Friday. It is my longest Letters video yet--almost an hour. :o
- Jeaux Day involved eating IHOP food. I almost made Jeaux choke on fries reading him this in the restaurant. We listened to Night Vale and told each other many things.
- I had a doctor's appointment: a cardiologist. She said some reassuring things and told me my symptoms sounded exactly like I have an extra electrical pathway that is messing with my heart! I think it is called Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome. Everything fits--it can start at any time in your life even though you're born that way, it's pretty rare but not ridiculously so, it sounds EXACTLY like my symptoms, and it doesn't seem to be an incredibly serious thing. We're going to try a halter monitor at my next appointment.
- Autumn gave the book a five-star review on Goodreads.
- Miss P. Martin gave the book a five-star review on Amazon UK.
- "Asexuality is Not a Diagnosis": Psychology Today blog post.
- Lambda Literary Awards Finalists includes me and seven other finalists in the LGBT Nonfiction category.
- The Asexual Agenda included my Lammy nomination and my Psychology Today article in their linkspam.
- Completed reading: The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. Four-star review.
- Currently reading: Eyeshield 21 Volume 25 by Riichiro Inagaki and Yusuke Murata.
New singing performances:
Here I'm singing "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins.
Webcomic Negative One Issue 0512: "Why We're Important."
"Letters to an Asexual #26" is out--about a jerk telling me asexual people can't have sex and still expect to be "taken seriously" as really being asexual.
|My bangs were doing a weird flippy thing.|
Social media counts: YouTube subscribers: 4,371 for swankivy (16 new this week), 438 for JulieSondra (2 new). Twitter followers: 612 for swankivy (1 new), 838 for JulieSondra (lost my 4 spam followers). Facebook: 277 friends (no change) and 159 followers (1 new) for swankivy, 526 likes for JulieSondra (no change), 55 likes for Negative One (no change), 101 likes for So You Write (no change). Tumblr followers: 1,836 (9 new).