Thursday, March 12, 2015

Bad Fairy 2 status report: (the rest of) Chapter 18

It has NOT been a good writing week, meaning I did not work on Bad Fairy at all this week except for . . . weirdly, last night, AFTER I had decided to go to bed.

You know, just one of those moments where you're like "I'm going to reread some of the stuff I wrote" and you end up writing more.

I have a lot of stuff that I need to prepare for and everything is taking longer and being more complicated than I expected, so it just basically took the wind out of my sails and I didn't want to write anything. I figured I'd write something about that Stephen King quote where he says you have to treat writing like a job and do it even when you don't feel like it, but I guess I'll save that for next time I have a week where I actually don't write anything. (I disagree, by the way. Mostly. Well, it's complicated. Which is why it needs a blog post.)

Words: The rest of Chapter 18 was 1,043 words. [Cringe]

Basic details: Delia begins to pay attention to politics and current events, develops some opinions about them, and becomes fascinated with the idea of the royal couple's future child.

The good: A vignette about an unborn prince surprised me. It wasn't in the original. And, of course, now that I've built the platform for it, the next chapter will finally let me write the scene where she meets the princess.

The bad: The chapter is all telling! This is going to need some serious work when I go into editing. It's probably boring, it's likely not all that entertaining, and I worry that some of the thoughts Delia has will be creepy to an alienating degree. 

The quotes:

Delia describes learning something that no one else in the world knows--including the person it applies to:


I told no one, but felt the news filling me peculiarly, as if it were mine. 

Delia starts making plans and realizing how impossible they are, but becomes more determined:

There were too many caveats and laws of nature that didn’t want to bend to my plan. But I felt a strong sense of purpose when this plot settled upon me, and I knew I would have to find a way.
Sorry, there's really not much to quote since it was such a short passage and most of it is sloppy narration that I'll have to fix later.

No comments:

Post a Comment