1. What did you do in 2017 that you'd never done before?
- Helped my workplace shut down to go out of business
- Took driving lessons from a professional
- Sold something on eBay
- Did a YouTube video for my channel with a friend
- Made krumkake
- Hired a financial adviser, a lawn care specialist, and a pest control specialist
- Had my art stolen multiple times
- Learned how to do some very minor design work for my job
- Became a notary
- Taught myself how to use Microsoft Access
- Won an art contest (well, first time as an adult, anyway)
- Ran a fan convention panel (accidentally)
- Cosigned a loan for a car
- Called 911 (twice)
- Moved into my own (rented) house
- Went to my first coordination meeting at the DOT
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year, these were my resolutions, and whether I kept them:
- Finish editing Bad Fairy and get it to my agent. Kept it!
- Finish writing Ace of Arts. Did not!
- Get at least one more short story published. Did not!
- Get a great job in 2017. Kept it!
- Lose 10 pounds. LOL NOOOOOPE
- Have at least one awesome vacation with Meghan. Not really, just a couple visits.
- Be more responsive to communication. Hmm . . . No.
- Actually finish Ace of Arts.
- Be more consistent with Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr.
- Lose some weight, for real tho.
- Write two new short stories.
- Try a new recipe.
- Redesign my entire website.
- Do cosplay at at least one convention.
- Progress with my ukulele.
- Continue reading about a book a week.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I think my old high school friend Heather must've had a baby this month, but we're not close anymore and I don't have news. My friend Avi, with whom I really no longer communicate either (sadly), also had a second child with his partner this past summer.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I didn't lose anyone. My beautiful friend Meggie lost her stepdad this year, though.
5. What countries did you visit?
I stayed home.
6. What would you like to have in 2018 that you lacked in 2017?
- As always, a three-book deal from a major publisher. ;)
- A balance between fun and work that I find satisfying.
- A much better diet.
- Better video editing software (which means a better computer).
7. What dates from 2017 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 31: Last day of work at DKS.
February 16: Accepted a new job at BES.
March 1: Drove a car for the first time in 20 years during a driving lesson.
March 6: Started my new job at BES.
July 8: Welcome to Night Vale show.
August 4 – 6: Metrocon event.
September 25: Moved into a new three-bedroom house.
October 28: Had a big Halloween party.
December 18: Family from San Francisco arrived to visit.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Honestly, just surviving a ton of changes: moving, driving, changing my job.
I also successfully ran a cartoon blog that I grew from less than 100 followers to almost 1400 followers, and I ran it anonymously so people wouldn't start following it just because they know me from somewhere else. I also got my fan content featured 38 times on Steven Universe Amino. Wow.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Again, like last year, my biggest failure is not treating my writing like it's important.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Injured my ankle a little this fall, had a weird several-week bout of dizziness and a bad reaction to drugs, that's about it.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A new ukulele, some great cartoon swag, and Welcome to Night Vale tickets.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
- Mommy, who has managed to do an awful lot in spite of being sick. She made me some really cute pillows, and at the times she could drive, she helped me get to work and over to my new house while I was moving.
- Sister P and brother-in-law Y, for doing such a great job with Ash and P taking the steps to leave her job and find something that fits her better.
- Meghan, for soldiering on another year with a sick husband, a mother who needs her help, two kids and a gaggle of pets, and a challenging job, all in the wake of losing her dad.
- Jeaux, for helping me a lot during the hurricane and letting me cry on him, and for having the courage to leave his old job and get a new one.
- Heather, who went on submission and got a new house this year.
- My dad for supporting his parents in such difficult conditions.
- My LGBT friends who came out this year, began using self-affirming labels this year, and got gender-affirming surgeries this year.
- Upstairs neighbors, whose fuckery made me leave my home this year.
- Selfish people who ignored suffering just because it wasn't them.
- Racists, homophobes, and transphobes whose violent and bigoted attitudes have led DIRECTLY to life lost and blood spilled.
- YouTube trolls, anonymous Tumblr haters, and whoever got my Amino account banned just 'cause they were snotty and jelly.
- Donald Trump and his supporters.
Rent, moving expenses, and lending other people money.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Steven Universe, amazing books, Night Vale, compassionate people in queer activism, Steven Universe, comic books, learning ukulele, food, my cute friends, drawing, when Rebecca Sugar followed me on Tumblr for some reason, Steven Universe, my nephew, my cool new house, delicious desserts, art supplies, Steven Universe.
16. What song will always remind you of 2017?
"Glad You Came." For some reason I sang this with my ukulele as a goodbye song when I left my last job.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
Afraid sad is the answer.
ii. thinner or fatter?
Can't believe it but I've gained more weight this year.
iii. richer or poorer?
Richer, sort of.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Writing fiction instead of blog posts.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Redoing work I've already done because of assholes.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
I went to my mom's with my friends Jeaux and Victor. We decorated cookies, ate a meal, and opened presents. It was pretty great!
21. How will you be spending New Year's Eve?
I don't know, hopefully something with family.
22. Did you fall in love in 2017?
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
That is unnecessary
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
My tolerance for certain people has diminished, leading to unfriending occasionally.
26. What was the best book you read this year?
I really can't decide for sure but I'll say Welcome to the Slipstream by Natalka Burian for fiction and Steven Universe: Art and Origins for nonfiction.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I had no significant musical discoveries this year.
28. What did you want and get?
More Tumblr followers, cartoon nerdiness, a great new house that's beyond my expectations in most ways, fulfilling hobbies, love.
29. What did you want and not get?
A driver's license, a completed book, and a smaller butt?
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Definitely, definitely Hidden Figures.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 39. I had to work. Jeaux and my boss both got me a cake and I ate both. My mom took me out for pizza and I got some reading done in the evening.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I didn't have to watch my loved ones struggle with money. Also, having a different President.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2017?
34. What kept you sane?
Blogging, Jeaux and Meghan, cartoons, music, art therapy.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I've been watching/hearing/reading a lot of Rebecca Sugar interviews and I really connect with what she's saying. I would just love to talk creativity and queerness with her.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Everything surrounding #MeToo. I didn't participate but I watched.
37. Who did you miss?
I miss being able to talk to my grandma, I miss working with the people at my old job, and I miss my friends who died, Jim and Mike.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
New friends were few and far between this year. I did just meet Iri at Queer Brunch and they're my most recently friended Facebook person so I pick them.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2017.
I can handle emergencies. But it helps a lot if I can cry on somebody after.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust."