I sent a newsletter out to my 260+-ish subscribers list over the weekend. The newsletters are generally about publishing-related stuff going on for me, opportunities for the fans of my work, and a few personal life details. Since starting the newsletter in November, I've only sent to the list five times.
Sign up for the newsletter
See the last issue
My question to you is this: Since I send them out infrequently, they usually contain a LOT of stuff, and I wonder if that means my subscribers are unlikely to take it all in. Do you think it's better to send shorter, less packed newsletters more frequently, or do you think people appreciate getting letters sparingly but full of stuff?
This newsletter included this stuff:
- How to get my book in hardcover, audio, and eBook now that the preorders are starting to be fulfilled.
- Places the book has been mentioned or reviewed, including the Time excerpt, my CTV appearance, Mark Carrigan's review, my mention in The Varsity, and my review on The Bibliophibian.
- Links to Word and PDF versions of a flier I created for those who want an easy document to hand to someone at a library or institution who might want to order it.
- Options for getting autographed copies; I have a new autograph page for ordering bookplates, and I've joined Authorgraph for autographing the e-copies.
- The GOODREADS GIVEAWAY, which US residents can enter to win one of five free copies of the book.
- Links to writings and interviews, including my article in The Toast ("Enjoy Your Houseful of Cats"), my interview on YA Interrobang ("Julie Sondra Decker & Asexuality"), and my video interview with Brian of AOkayVideo.
- An update on the Toronto conference discussed my book giveaway and linked to video of my two panels, "Asexual Leadership Q&A" and "Asexual Visibility and Content Creation."
- I linked my cute "Unboxing Video" featuring me opening my hardbacks of the book after I received the package from my publisher.
The interviews and mentions are going to heat up around the release of the book and I'd really like people to get a chance to read them, so maybe at least around release time I should make the newsletter a little more frequent? Maybe once a month from now on so I don't overwhelm people? I'm not sure.