Monday, August 18, 2014

30-Week Writing Survey: Week 20: Character Interactions

WEEK TWENTY OF THE SURVEY FOR AUTHORS!

QUESTIONS ARE  HERE!

Today's question: What are your favorite character interactions to write? (Arguments? Love scenes? Brawls?)

I guess that's kind of an unclear question. I like to relay character interactions through dialogue, but I'm unsure of whether this question is asking me to pinpoint a particular KIND of interaction I like to portray? I guess so.

I think my favorite conversations between characters are the ones where two people who know each other very well help each other through an identity crisis or moral dilemma. I love having one character gently lead another--while providing moral support--to a conclusion that they're both satisfied with. Usually there are tears. Sometimes there's anger. And there's almost always a hug in there somewhere.

I've written this happening between mothers and daughters; between best friends; between significant others; between teachers and students. I especially like reversals, where the character who usually needs counseling becomes the counselor instead. I also kinda enjoy it when two very close characters are mildly verbally abusive to one another--some people probably think that's weird, but I love it when two people know each other well enough to insult each other and further underscore their unconditional love.


1 comment:

  1. Oh I love it when super close characters sort of jokingly insult each other too. I've only written interactions like that once, but it's kind of funny to me because that's how my brother and I act. (It concerns my parents since they're unable to figure out why it's not malicious xD)

    ReplyDelete