Saturday, July 20, 2019

Personal Digest Saturday: July 13 – July 19

Life news this week:
  • Saturday was Day 2 of the convention! I hadn't slept very well but I got up relatively early anyway and tried to get some photos processed before I ran out of time and had to get dressed for the convention. I finally found the courage to wear my Garnet costume outside the house! Jeaux came and picked me up and dropped me off at the convention so I could get to a panel I wanted to go to but he wasn't ready. I managed to slip in and catch most of the panel on diversity in media and it was very much worth it. I also got some great photos and interaction with other attendees.
  • Jeaux arrived after he went home and got his costume together. He was dressed as Bloodstone, which is the alter ego of a character named Ronaldo in Steven Universe. He even had a crappy sword like the character! A few people recognized him but mostly they didn't know who he was, which was kinda sad. Jeaux and I visited the dealer room, took photos, posed for photos, and wandered around. We also stopped to get food--got some Chinese food.
  • Unfortunately, there was a mistake with the panel I was running! The app and the convention website said my panel was at 7 PM, but the sign outside the room said it was 9 PM and a few other things were swapped around. I tried to get it straightened out with the organizers but the person I talked to didn't seem to quite get why the sign being wrong was a problem. He kept telling me everything was fine because the website was the final schedule and I was clear to do my panel at 7. When I asked him to change the sign to match (as I'd seen other signs changed with Sharpie updates when necessary), for some reason he said he couldn't change it, and seemed to think it would help if he offered to meet me by the room before my panel. When I explained that the sign being wrong might kinda mess with people's plans if they weren't checking the website and might make people who wanted to come to my panel miss it thinking it was 2 hours later, he just smiled and apologized and said there was nothing they could do. "Why can't you change the sign if 9 PM is wrong and 7 PM is right?" I asked, more than once, but he just. didn't. grok. why it was a problem. And promised again to meet me at the door and settle any issues if someone else was trying to take the slot.
  • Jeaux was frustrated that not many people understood his costume so he went home to change and also picked up my panel prizes. I stayed at the con and attended a panel on women in LARP (live-action role play), even though I don't do LARPing. It was good. My panel was happening in the same room and Jeaux had been outside telling people when my panel actually was taking place so maybe some of the attendees only stayed because of that. :D The guy who'd promised to meet me before the panel indeed never came. I briefly voiced my frustration to a panel volunteer who was nearby, and she immediately agreed that it sucked, apologized, and changed the sign with a pen right there. So it was fixed kinda when it was too late to matter. Despite that, the panel was well attended and I had a GREAT time! The Let's Talk Steven Universe panel just involved people picking cards, talking about the subject on the cards, and getting prizes from my Cheeseburger Backpack as a reward. A few of the participants traded in their prizes for stuff they preferred (an option I offered).
  • After the panel, Jeaux and I wandered around the con more, took some time to chill, and attended one more panel: Masculinity? In my anime? It was a good panel too and the host made great points with good examples. After, he took me home and I pretty much went to sleep right away. The costume was pretty comfortable all day except the shoes were not so supportive, and after it got darker in the con space it was hard to wear sunglasses. I had initially planned to wear a corset-type thing to help make my figure more extreme, but I couldn't tell I was even wearing it in photos, so I didn't bother to suffer. :D
  • Sunday I took a paid ride to the convention because Jeaux didn't want to go. I wore my Stevonnie costume again and stayed for a few hours. I didn't go to any panels but I got to play ukulele with a cosplayer dressed as Steven, saw some cool costumes, and visited the dealer room again. After, I walked to the store to get Katelyn a birthday present because she was turning TWENTY-ONE (oh lordy). I took a paid ride home, did some blogging and photo processing but still didn't finish, and did laundry.
  • Monday I had to go back to work. It was a busy day because I'd been out Friday! Lots of printing and downloading and organizing to do, and I had to get questions organized for my co-workers to practice for interviews. After work, I did karaoke and made videos for a friend and finally got my blogging done.
  • Tuesday I took the bus to work and some dude at the bus stop asked to be my boyfriend. I chased him off with my science book. Not kidding. At work I had more questions to organize for my co-workers, and then I got really frustrated because we're almost a month into the air conditioning not being fixed and the downstairs restaurant started blasting building-shaking music. I finally got to talk to the building manager, who claimed he didn't know about the AC problems even though I'd been giving him daily updates. He promised to fix it which was cool. A new comic compilation came out but there was nothing new in it so I just reviewed it online and made videos for a friend and accomplished very little else.
  • Wednesday I did RCI training most of the day at work. I'll be doing a project with data entry so I had to take computer-based training to learn about it. After work I ate at Gino's with Jeaux, shopped at Publix, and watched Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
  • Thursday I spent the whole day in RCI training. At the end of the day an AC tech came by to look at our units and said it'd be fixed when we got in the next day. After work I hung some posters up and talked to Victor on the phone. I got a couple drawings done for my comic.
  • Friday I finished my RCI training and am now certified in all three levels. Hooray. There was no difference in the effectiveness of the AC so I told the building manager. We talked about what we should do if we can't get it fixed. The convention trailer for Steven Universe: The Movie dropped and I may have lost my mind a little. After work I just drew my comic and chattered about the movie with my friends.


New reviews of my book:

Interviews, Articles, Mentions:
  • I missed this last week, but in the Asexual Agenda's July 12th Linkspam, my book's Japanese release is mentioned.

Diet progress:

Check out my nutrition readout. I have a new low weight, huzzah! Though I also had a spike after I ate a LOT of pasta on Wednesday with Jeaux. I think not eating much surrounding the con and walking a lot contributed to this, but I definitely need to still eat less and be more active.




Reading progress:
  • Finished this week: Nothing really, but I did put up a review for a comic compilation of stuff I had read before--just mostly commenting on the format and what it has in it as compared to the other options to read this material. I reviewed Steven Universe: All-In-One with a four-star review.
  • Currently reading: The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene.
    New singing performances:

    This week's karaoke song is "November Rain" by Guns N' Roses.




    Stuff Drawn:



    Webcomic Negative One Issue 0740: "Nurse."






    New videos:

    None!

    New photos:

    Okay, so the photos were epic again this week. I made an entire Metrocon 2019 Gallery, but here are the photos from this week that were my favorites on Saturday and Sunday.


    Garnet Costume
    Rose & Garnet
    Bloodstone
    Rose Quartz
    Ruby & Sapphire
    Garnet, White, Pearl, Blue
    Yellow & Pink
    Steven & Stevonnie
    AND STEVEN
    Mystery Girl & Pearl
    Jack Frost & Pitch
     
     
    And then I just have a couple unrelated ones.



    RCI Training Certificates
    Trying not to flip watching SDCC trailer


    Social Media Counts:

    YouTube subscribers: 5,256 for swankivy (2 new), 681 for JulieSondra (no change). Twitter followers: 975 for swankivy (lost 1), 1,340 for JulieSondra (lost 1). Facebook: 292 friends (lost 1, don't know who) and 206 followers (no change) for swankivy, 649 likes for JulieSondra (3 new), 63 likes for Negative One (1 new), 159 likes for So You Write (no change). Tumblr followers: 2,516 (1 new). Instagram followers: 182 (1 new)..

    No comments:

    Post a Comment