Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Wednesday Factoid: Annoying Habits

Today's Wednesday Factoid is: What is the most annoying habit that other people have?

Oh. I thought at first I'd already answered this question but it turns out I've just answered a different question about MY habits. Okay then.

I'll say loud chewing.

I can't stand mouth noises and it just drives me up the wall when people chew loudly and don't close their freakin' mouths.

I also really hate interrupting.

People interrupt me a LOT and they just act like it's time to start talking because they want to start talking. What I'm saying can't be as important as what they want to say. I have a variety of ways of dealing with this--and most of them do NOT involve just resigning myself to being interrupted--but sometimes if it's at work or something, I have to be much more polite than I would be in ordinary circumstances. 

I know one person who has a habit of interrupting to finish my sentences with what he thinks I'm going to say. What's awful is he's also terrible at anticipating what I'm going to say, so I have to just stare at him, hold eye contact for a moment, and say "No, that isn't what I was going to say. Do you want me to tell you?" He doesn't seem to realize that I'm basically reprimanding him for interrupting and trying to train him to stop doing this, but he doesn't process what's happening and just goes on to steamroll what I was saying with his prediction of what I was about to say. I've even gone as far as saying "I don't have to tell you if you're already happy with your version." It just doesn't track, and it's so, so obnoxious.

No comments:

Post a Comment