Saturday, April 21, 2018

Personal Digest Saturday: April 14 – April 20

Life news this week:
  • Saturday I got my blogging done and some comic planning finished in time to get to Drink and Draw. I got to see my friends Eric and Joy and others and had a great time drawing and having my favorite VLT. I got a writing comic done and worked on some fan art.
  • Sunday I did karaoke and then went to help Jeaux with his move-out. We ate at Moe's, then picked up my steam cleaner from my mom's 'cause she'd borrowed it, uh, months ago. Then we went to his old apartment and did some final cleaning, and then he took me home. At home I just did some cleaning up and some drawings.
  • Monday was a cold day. I played with Letters of Response at work, and then went to Dunkin Donuts after work to get more donuts and try to do a better rendition of the Dog-Nut. (Last week's attempt was terrible.) This one was way prettier than the last one! But then after I took pictures and ate some of it, I got a really bad foot cramp and had to go to bed early because I had to stay in bed.
  • Tuesday I wore sneakers to work because I didn't want crampy feet again. Spent the work day, well, working, and listened to the latest Steven Universe podcast (which was just a recap of one of the new episodes, a short one). I took some pics of my new shirts and finally finished all my drawings for the fan comic I've been making about depression! But the talk bubbles didn't get done.
  • Wednesday I started cartography classes at work. I made a map of Massachusetts and learned to sort some data and how it's represented on the map. I have to take these classes for the next few weeks. Whee. After, I met Jeaux and we ate at Perkins, shopped at Target, and listened to Night Vale. My sound system has randomly died. :( Oh, and I also picked up the latest Steven Universe official comic, which came out earlier in the month than I had expected. I posted some images and a review online, and got TONS of comments from fans and a bunch of new followers for some reason.
  • Thursday I did my usual database work at the office, then came home and helped Mom with some more computer stuff. (Her laptop has been giving her trouble.) We hung out for a while but then she went home and I called Victor and we chatted while I drew webcomics. I unfortunately fell asleep on the floor with all the lights on.
  • Friday was a sleepy day. I worked on letters and database stuff and making reports for my boss. Then I went home and finished my webcomic and also drew a cute picture of Ruby and Sapphire in highlighters. At home after posting the comic I tried to go to bed but a big spider in the room interrupted me so I tried to catch it but was unsuccessful. (It wasn't as big as the one I had in my shower when I first moved in, though.) Wonder if I will see it again. [Edit: Caught the spider right after making this post!]
New reviews of my book:




Articles, Interviews, Mentions:

Nothing really this week except someone who criticized my book a few weeks ago over a perception that I'm cherry-picking my research is posting more criticism--mostly along the lines of being disappointed that my non-scientific book doesn't feature scientific research, ignoring multiple examples of personal testimony as evidence that certain experiences are common, and suggesting I imply things I didn't imply. Some folks appear to think all nonfiction books are supposed to be scientific texts, and some people seem disappointed that it is largely, purposely, about anecdotal personal experiences (no, not just mine, but I'm not a scientist and I have not conducted scientific research on this). I don't really think a statement like "many asexual people have been asked about their genitals or masturbation habits by strangers" needs a scientific cite or a set of survey numbers when it's clear this is a book written by an activist who talks to a LOT of asexual people. I've heard other asexual people mention that this happens to them many times. Hence "many." I'm not sure what people would do with "numbers" about this if they had them. It's clear this is an experience some of us have, so why not simply understand that as your takeaway?

Reading progress:
    New singing performances:

    This week's song was "Where I Want to Be" from the musical Chess.



    Stuff Drawn:

    So first, I made a really cool comic about depression this week. It's my take on a conversation between Steven Universe characters Lapis Lazuli and Peridot. Lapis struggles with depression pretty hard in the show, and Peridot doesn't really understand. I made this comic for fans, but it's easy to understand the overall message even if you don't watch the show (despite a few references to past trauma for both of them that don't really require context for you to get that they were bad). 







    Ruby and Sapphire flirting, drawn in highlighter
    (based on a pose that was in the official comic this week)







    Webcomic Negative One Issue 0675: "I Feel My Sleep."






    New videos:

    None. 

    New photos:


    Day kinda sucked but I wore the right gloves to punch it
    Much handsomer Dog-Nut
    The happy couple

    Social Media Counts:

    YouTube subscribers: 5,284 for swankivy (lost 1), 667 for JulieSondra (1 new). Twitter followers: 916 for swankivy (3 new), 1,319 for JulieSondra (no change). Facebook: 294 friends (1 new, it's actually 2 because I friended two new people but I also defriended someone) and 204 followers (no change) for swankivy, 656 likes for JulieSondra (1 new), 55 likes for Negative One (no change), 125 likes for So You Write (no change). Tumblr followers: 2,503 (lost 4). Instagram followers: 140 (no change).

    No comments:

    Post a Comment