Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Wednesday Factoid: Where would you be?

Today's Wednesday Factoid is: Would you rather be in Middle-Earth, Narnia, Hogwarts, or somewhere else?

Uh? Actually I have no desire to go to any of those places. To be honest most of the fictional fantasy lands I've read about have been war-torn or super dangerous, and I'm not one of those people who thinks the alternate-world newness of it and the fact that these worlds contain magic would counteract the fact that daily life there would actually be pretty awful.

But even if I were to be able to go to Middle-Earth or Narnia or Hogwarts during a time where there are no wars and no angry kings/false gods/dark overlords attacking, I don't actually find any of them compelling at all. Middle-Earth looks pretty, but there's nothing going on there that I would want to personally participate in. Narnia always felt kind of fake to me--maybe because so much of it was constructed to lead readers toward a specific conclusion. And the curriculum at Hogwarts doesn't seem interesting to me--I don't like the way magic works in the Harry Potter universe.

So, to answer the question, obviously my answer would be "somewhere else." And since the question seems to imply that it wants me to pick a fantasy world, I guess I'd go for Shannon Hale's fantasy world in her Books of Bayern series or the world presented in the Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra series. I like that more elemental sort of magic (assuming that transporting myself to a fictional universe would also allow me to participate in the fantastical disciplines there), though both of these series had wars too. All things considered I just like the presentation better and find the arts more compelling.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hah, I feel the same way about Hogwarts and Middle Earth. (I never gave Narnia much of a thought. It's too. . .bland to me? It feels super generic).

    I feel like if I was in the Avatar universe, I'd just end up as one of the people who doesn't have any bending powers >_> I'd want firebending, if possible. And you'd be an airbender, right? I think you mentioned air being your element most often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'd definitely want to be an airbender! I actually got asked that question in my 5000 Subscribers Q&A video and that's how I answered it.

      Delete