Saturday, July 11, 2015

Personal Digest Saturday: July 4 – July 10

Life news this week: 
  • Saturday was a holiday but I didn't do anything for it; I just stayed in and re-read my book (and made little edits), gearing up for writing new stuff. And then Sunday I actually did the writing new stuff part. It was nice to get back into writing the book after a couple months off.
  • On Monday I gave an interview to a magazine before work and then had to start my week. I decided I wanted to make special food for next week's cartoon event so I collected ideas and grocery shopped for those items as well as my usual grocery shopping.
  • The rest of the week I mostly just looked at cartoon news and watched silly things on YouTube and also read part of a book, but I didn't get finished with it. I usually read a book a week but I just wasn't feeling the whole reading thing this week and I didn't get to the end. So . . . well, books don't expire! Also did some short story submissions but nothing really notable.
  • Wednesday was the usual Jeaux Day: we ate at a barbecue restaurant and watched America's Got Talent and had a really great chat about feminism (which is one of Jeaux's big interests too).
New reviews of my book:
          Places featured:
            • Locus Online had some reviews of recently published short fiction, and Lois Tilton reviewed my issue of Kaleidotrope. She thought my story was repetitive and and predictable, and called it a "lesson story," which is news to me. I thought her assessment was kinda confusing because she said it like "the reveal" was supposed to be a mystery to the reader, while I thought it was pretty clear that it was only a mystery to the character (and also far and away not "the point"), but considering how many other short stories the reviewer said very similar things about, I'm clearly in good company! (She also claimed it was set in a world where a goddess chooses people's mates for them when they're fifteen, which is misleading at best, but I guess some people must read it that way.)
            • A conversation with mum: A Tumblr user mentions using my book as a tool to help discuss asexuality with a parent. Thought that was neat.
            • Your Daily Ace has started an asexual book club and my book is the first featured selection. They have a reading schedule figured out.
            • One of my cartoon music videos was featured on Beach City Bugle, which is a Steven Universe fan site. Yayyyy.
               Reading progress:
              • Completed reading: Nothing this week, but I'm halfway through my current.
              • Currently reading: The Passion of Sergius and Bacchus by David Reddish.

              New singing performances:

              Here I'm singing "Love Is Strange" by Mickey & Sylvia. It's a duet with another singer named Seventhchild.


               
              New drawings:



              Webcomic Negative One Issue 0530: "Why Is Y."







              New videos:

              None.  

              New photos:  

              New shirt that says I'm part of the Secret Team, which probably defeats the purpose.
              Test run of Together Breakfast, which is an imitation of this.
              Yes, that is popcorn on the waffles. Don't ask.

              Social media counts: YouTube subscribers: 4,775 for swankivy (28 new this week), 487 for JulieSondra (2 new). Twitter followers: 660 for swankivy (lost one), 982 for JulieSondra (11 new). Facebook: 283 friends (2 new--friended Kjerstin because we like the same cartoon and Brenda because for whatever reason we weren't already FB friends but she runs Pitch Wars) and 173 followers (1 new) for swankivy, 583 likes for JulieSondra (2 new), 54 likes for Negative One (no change), 109 likes for So You Write (no change). Tumblr followers: 2070 (9 new).

              No comments:

              Post a Comment