- I spent a lot of this week obsessing over short stories new and old. I polished off my newest one and sent it off to be considered, and then went on a submission binge, rewriting another old story completely in the process. So now I have nine pieces out being considered by ten different magazines. I joined the Submission Grinder to help me keep track of my submissions.
- Completed Chapter 12 of the newest Bad Fairy book as well.
- I drew a picture of my characters from my new short story both for fun and because I wanted it for a gag I was making in my So You Write comic this week.
- An interview I did for The Varsity hit on Monday. I was interviewed with a few other asexual people.
- I did not get my Taco Bus taco on Monday as planned but that was because Yasmin couldn't make it. I got my Taco Bus taco on FRIDAY and it was delicious. Full of tofu and rice and tastiness.
- A podcast for a radio show called Friday Night Lip Service had an entire episode dedicated to asexuality and my book was mentioned on it. It is apparently being assigned as their book club's book for soon!
- Jeaux Day involved shopping at Target and eating at Applebee's. When we were in the makeup aisle at the store he was making jokes about the eyeshadow and some woman overheard him and said "Excuse me, did you just refer to makeup as 'utilitarian'?" Nahahaha. People don't get Jeaux's jokes.
- I filmed a video this week but didn't process it yet. Blargh I'm so lazy.
- Prismatic Entanglements posted a comprehensive, mostly positive, gently critical review.
- Elizabeth Leuw gave it four stars on Goodreads. (Elizabeth is the author of Prismatic Entanglements, and this is a slightly less detailed version of the above review.)
- NaomiRuth gave it three stars on Goodreads because she already knew everything in it and was surprised that the content isn't common knowledge already.
- Friday Night Lip Service's Asexuality Spectrum episode mentions my book and discusses asexuality at length, but the folks on the show haven't read it.
- "It's not easy being ace": The Varsity's article by Iris Robin includes me and some other aces.
- J.C. Fann mentioned me because we did an interview together, woohoo.
- Completed reading: Texts from Jane Eyre by Mallory Ortberg. (Mallory's a co-creator of The Toast and they once published something of mine!) Four-star review.
- Currently reading: The Tropes of Fantasy Fiction by Gabrielle Lissauer.
New singing performances:
Here I'm singing "Come Together" by the Beatles. I've always loved how this song sounds, even though I don't really have the kind of voice that's good for performing it.
Doodle of new characters from "Aquarius":
|Becks & Austin are a super cute queer couple.|
Webcomic Negative One Issue 0509: "Promise Me Back."
Webcomic So You Write Issue 45: "Not What I Imagined."
|I did take this photo when I was giggling to Mallory's book.|
Social media counts: YouTube subscribers: 4,308 for swankivy (23 new this week), 432 for JulieSondra (2 new). Twitter followers: 606 for swankivy (3 new), 837 for JulieSondra (lost 3--I had a storm of spam followers last week so clearly some of them dropped me this week when I didn't follow back). Facebook: 276 friends (no change) and 158 followers (no change) for swankivy, 524 likes for JulieSondra (9 new), 55 likes for Negative One (1 new), 101 likes for So You Write (1 new). Tumblr followers: 1,805 (15 new).