- I spent much of this week flitting between three things: writing Bad Fairy, digging myself out of an e-mail hole that's literally from September last year, and watching episodes of House, M.D. (My friend lent me the DVDs a long time ago and I never finished watching them. I'm interspersing episodes between behaving responsibly.)
- I completed three chapters of my book this week, mostly over the long weekend. About 11,000 new words. Good for me!
- Manuscript Wish List (#MSWL) happened this week on Twitter. If you don't know, it's when agents and editors (well, mostly agents) tweet rather specific things that they're wishing people would submit. I combed the feed for editors looking for what I write and I'll just say that went well for me!
- My second alternate from last year's Pitch Wars, Jessica, sold her book to Curiosity Quills without an agent. Awesome for her. :)
- I processed a new video for my asexuality channel, which I filmed the week before but didn't put together until this week. I'm always pleasantly surprised by how many people are willing to tolerate my longer videos and post supportive comments. This video was like 45 minutes long.
- An article in WIRED about asexuality mentioned my book. I'm pretty sure I got a little spike in sales from it. The comments, over 900 of them at last count, are a cesspool. As usual. Kind of depressing when you think you're making progress and then the comments are full of WHY ARE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT THIS THIS IS A NON-ISSUE WHY CAN'T WIRED DO ACTUAL NEWS THESE PEOPLE ARE OBVIOUSLY SICK SO WHY DO THEY WANT PRESS ABOUT THEIR MALFUNCTIONS WOW THEY REALLY JUST NEED TO GET LAID AND STOP CONVINCING THEMSELVES THEY'RE SPECIAL etc.
- Jeaux Day took place at Westshore Pizza. He told me about hilarious things going on in his video game forum. Jeaux wins the Internet for exposing sexists for what they are.
- Joshua Macintyre gave me five stars on Goodreads.
- "Young, Attractive, and Totally Not Into Having Sex": WIRED's article about the asexual spectrum, which mentions my book.
- "The Long, Long Road": Jessica's post about how her book sold, with a little mention of my involvement during Pitch Wars.
- "Since When is That a Solution!": Blogger Stacy discusses asexuality experiences and recommends my book and bingo cards.
- My autograph: The cutest things happen on Tumblr sometimes. Here's a conversation between two Tumblr bloggers about how much they love my book and how to get my autograph.
- Completed reading: Nothing this week. I'm afraid I'm slower sometimes when reading nonfiction.
- Currently reading: The Tropes of Fantasy Fiction by Gabrielle Lissauer.
New singing performances:
Here I'm singing "Sunglasses at Night" by Corey Hart. Used to love this song as a kid, and of course I wore sunglasses while performing.
Webcomic Negative One Issue 0510: "What's Yours."
Letters to an Asexual #25 is here.
|Me complaining it's 52ºF when it's way colder most other places.|
Social media counts: YouTube subscribers: 4,327 for swankivy (19 new this week), 436 for JulieSondra (4 new). Twitter followers: 613 for swankivy (7 new), 838 for JulieSondra (1 new). Facebook: 277 friends (1 new--friended Brooke) and 158 followers (no change) for swankivy, 525 likes for JulieSondra (1 new), 55 likes for Negative One (no change), 101 likes for So You Write (no change). Tumblr followers: 1,823 (18 new).