Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Me on DiversifYA

I just thought my readers might want to know I'm featured on the excellent blog DiversifYA. The interview appeared yesterday.


The discussion focuses on asexuality. I share what it was like to grow up asexual, what are the challenges and perks, what I wish people knew about asexuality, what the clichés and stereotypes are, and my advice for writing diverse characters.

I've been following the blog for some time and I'm so excited I was finally able to make an appearance on it! DiversifYA is a fantastic resource not just for writing more diverse characters, but for understanding people of different backgrounds as a whole. The mission statement of DiversifYA is fantastic and I think they're going about it the right way: we could all benefit from more diverse perspectives in our literature, and people need resources if they're going to learn to represent different kinds of characters in ways that don't tokenize them or misrepresent them.

I highly recommend looking at my interview if you've ever thought about writing an asexual character, but also browse the available categories and get some insight on how to create authentic, organic characters who aren't just carbon copies of their author. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment