Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Wednesday Factoid: Refuse to Watch

Today's Wednesday Factoid is: What movie or TV show do you refuse to watch?

I generally don't like shows or movies that are extremely violent (mainly if they focus on portrayals of human suffering). So I don't enjoy any horror at all, and tend not to like fictional depictions of ongoing horrific elements even if there's no gore involved. 

People tend to understand and accept that I don't want to watch horror or shows that they know have lots of violence (which is why no one seems to invest themselves in changing my mind when I say I don't want to watch Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead), but with media containing subtler horrific content, I've had to argue with people about whether certain shows "aren't scary." 

I can't watch Doctor Who because it contains too much suffering. I've accidentally seen a couple episodes here and there when people put them on at my house, and as a result I literally had nightmares thinking about the terrible situations the characters were in and the horrible choices they had to make. And yet, "Haha no Doctor Who isn't scary, unless you watch X episode" is a pretty common response I've heard. 

I don't care if you think it "isn't scary." It scared me. I don't need to say anything else.

It's like eating spicy food, which I've talked about here before. I experience something as too spicy to eat, and people aggressively tell me what I'm eating "isn't spicy" or suggest I must be mistaken about what I ate. 

Just. Stop. I get that people really like these things but I can't deal with what "enjoying" them requires me to sacrifice. So . . . sorry, I refuse to watch Doctor Who. Just for my own comfort. Thanks for understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment